Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Thill's - Dealers of Hats




I have been finding a lot of information about my newly discovered Thill family. In all my findings, which for now are mostly censuses, Nikolaus, my 4-greats-grandfather, and his sons are listed as dealers of hats. One indication of the influence the Thill family had on Cincinnati can be found in the Cincinnati City Directories. The page on the left is from 1878-79. The one on the right is from 1888 - 89.
The Thill occupation of dealing with hats did not come as a surprise to me as I had known all along that his daughter, Catharine Thill Becker, had been a milliner. My mother had told me how Catharine had a hat shop on Second Street in Ripley and thanks to a cousin in Texas, I even have some pictures of the shop and Catharine. I'll be posting them later.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment or send an email.