Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Bill Becker Fichter

For the past month, each Sunday evening, my husband and I have been watching the HBO mini-series, The Pacific.  It is a very interesting and well done show.   Except for the invasion of Pearl Harbor, I did not have that much knowledge of WWII in the Pacific, but watching all the things that those brave men endured makes me respect them all the more.  It has also made me think of ancestors that served in the military, one in particular, my grandmother's first cousin, Bill Becker Fichter.

Billy, as my grandmother always called him, was born in 1923 in either Ripley or Georgetown, Ohio.  His mother was Edith Bekcer Fichter and his father was Nickolas Kramer Fichter.  Bill began his  service in the Navy in 1943 and was a Pharmacist's Mate, Second Class.  I searched the Internet to see if I could discover the details of his service, but was not successful.  I did learn that a pharmacist's mate would have administered medical aid, treatment, and service to naval personnel.  They would have served on a hospital ship, naval ground hospital, or possibly in battled if accompanying a Marine unit.  I will keep looking to see if I can find out exactly what Bill did in the war.  

Bill lived to be 75 years old having died in 1998.  He is buried in the Florida National Cemetery in Bushnell.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment or send an email.